A knowledge base that works on local Markdown files
|Architecture:||Intel & AppleSilicon(ARM)|
|Minimum OS:||macOS 10.13|
|Vendor Name:||Obsidian Group|
Version History 1.1.16
You can find release notes for this version here: [forum.obsidian.md]
A second brain, for you, forever.
Obsidian is a powerful knowledge base that works on top of a local folder of plain text Markdown files.
a second brain
The human brain is non-linear: we jump from idea to idea, all the time. Your second brain should work the same.
In Obsidian, making and following [[connections]] is frictionless. Tend to your notes like a gardener; at the end of the day, sit back and marvel at your own knowledge graph.
Note-taking is incredibly personal. Tried every app, but there's always something not quite right? You deserve better.
Obsidian is built to be extensible. With 19 core plugins and counting, set up your own toolkit and get running in minutes.
You'll even be able to install third party plugins or build your own once Obsidian reaches v1.0. Sky's the limit.
With Obsidian, your data sits in a local folder. Never leave your life's work held hostage in the cloud again.
Plain text Markdown also gives you the unparalleled interoperability to use any kind of sync, encryption, or data processing that works with plain text files.
PORTABLE AND EXPRESSIVE
For portability, Obsidian supports CommonMark and GitHub Flavored Markdown (GFM):
• Code fence with syntax highlighting
• | Markdown table |
• [x] Task list
For expressiveness, Obsidian also supports:
• $$LaTeX math$$
• [[Internal links]]
• ![[Filename]] to embed notes and other files
LINK AS FIRST-CLASS CITIZEN
We want your second brain to work like a real brain, so Obsidian encourages you to make connections between your notes. Simply type [[ and Obsidian will auto-complete the link.
With connections in place, you can navigate your notes and get inspiration with backlinks and graph view.
THE NOTE MULTIPLEXER
Obsidian is great if you have large screens and atomic short notes. Panes in Obsidian can be split infinitely and resized, and they make cross-referencing multiple notes a breeze.
Panes can be pinned to keep its content or linked together so they can show different views of the same note. Combine panes to set up your powerful
BUILD YOUR OWN OBSIDIAN
With plugins, you can build your own note-taking toolkit like a Lego set.
Here are the current plugins, and we're constantly adding new ones:
• Page preview: mouse over internal links to preview the content.
• Backlinks: show "what links here" and find undiscovered connections.
• Daily note: create today's note with custom date format and optional use a template.
• Tag pane: view all your tags in one place.
• Starred notes: bookmark important and frequently accessed notes.
• Markdown importer: imports your Markdown export from Zettelkasten systems and Roam Research into Obsidian.
• Zettelkasten note: generate unique ID for your note.
• Random note: opens a random note, useful for reviewing and discovering.
• Quick switcher: jump to or create note with keyboard only.
• Custom CSS: style Obsidian however you like. Check out the awesome themes our community has made!
• Command palette: use Obsidian without leaving your keyboard.
• Audio recorder: record a voice memo and embed directly in your notes.
• Slides: present your Markdown notes as a slideshow by separating slides with ---.